This is awesome! I had gone through and followed Shaun's Tutorials, and wondered just how much could I do with this. Then this is an improvement on what I'd already learned there, will definitely use this in the platformer project I'm working on. The movement feels great!
A downloadable asset pack for Windows
PlatEngine is a small, flexible engine for GameMaker 1.4x aimed at beginners. It covers the basic mechanics of a simple platformer - which can be easily imported into any project!
- Moving, Jumping, Wall Jumping, 'Celeste' style Directional Dash
- Variable Acceleration, Friction and Gravity
- Jump Buffering / Coyote Jumping
- Wall Stick, Spikes
- Sprite Stretching, Dust Particles, Dash Trails
- Smooth Camera + Screenshake
- The .exe is the playable version of PlatEngine.
- The .gmz can be imported by going to File -> Import Project.
- The .gmez can be imported through GameMaker 1.4x as an extension for the source code. This can be done by right clicking the 'extensions' folder in your project directory, and clicking import. You can then add items from the extension into your project.
This project was a reiteration of Shaun Spalding's basic Platformer Tutorials, made to flesh out platformer mechanics not covered by Shaun.
Credits are not required but would be appreciated. I would love to know what you created with this engine. If something breaks, please leave a comment below. Hopefully this can help you in your future projects!
2020 July Update! I'm working on a new platformer engine in the background. I wrote this a long, long time ago and I think the code is rather outdated. I'd like to remake it with many more features.
Click download now to get access to the following files: